The construction and engineering industry in New Zealand is highly competitive with a few larger players (including international) and a number of boutique and local firms active in the sector. There are significant government and private sector tendering opportunities for construction sector companies to win new work and retain existing work. Our team has helped a broad range of construction and engineering companies write and win private and government sector tenders across New Zealand for the past seven years.
Our team of four construction tenders experts
We are a team of four writer including one graphic designer. We also have another two writers based in Australia whom we call upon for large tenders when additional resources are necessary. All of our writers understand the construction industry and have been writing bids for tradies and construction companies for the past seven years. Our founder, Jason Cooney, has extensive experience working in the in-house bid team of three Tier-1 construction companies in Australia on both Australian and New Zealand tenders.
How we help small construction companies win
Small construction industry businesses, such as builders, plumbers, electricians and professional services (surveyors and engineers) often have to tender for projects to the government and also private sector. For surveyors and engineers, being appointed to a government panel for three or five years can be critical to securing consistent work and cash-flow. More often than not, businesses will not submit construction tenders and engineering tenders on a weekly or monthly basis, and therefore don’t have an existing bid library in place.
We enjoy helping small and medium businesses create compelling bids to win tenders. Our extensive database of supporting documentation, from safety documentation to environmental and quality control helps our smaller clients quickly and effectively apply for contracts.
For some smaller clients it is their first-time tendering and bidding, or they have the same contract for many years which they are looking to resecure. Our service includes:
- Managing the entire proposal development process.
- Helping you decide on what opportunities to tender for (bid/no bid analysis)
- Writing the bid with you and taking care of tender management.
- Ensure you comply with all the requirements.
- Developing the required supporting documentation.
- Creating professional graphics.
- Writing and detailing comprehensive case studies that demonstrate your expertise and experience.
- Developing professional, well-designed CVs.
- Project managing the tender response from start to finish.
- Introducing and developing graphics and infographics.
- Undertaking a compliance check.
- Coordinating submission.
We are able to help you write bids and tenders in response to an RFP (Request for Proposal), RFQ (Request for quotation) and EOI (Expression of interest). Our team, led by Jason Cooney, has a comprehensive understanding of the tender evaluation process for civil engineering tenders and building and construction contracts. We help small construction firms tender to council, as well as Tier 1 and Tier 2 Construction companies. We also help businesses understand the overall tendering process in new Zealand as well as to apply for small tenders.
In addition to construction tenders, we have helped small construction companies as well as larger tradies bid for and secure maintenance tenders, excavation tenders, civil construction tenders and civil engineering tenders. We can help you bid for building tenders and project management tenders across New Zealand including in Auckland and Christchurch.
How we assist mid-tier and top-tier construction and engineering companies
When servicing larger construction and engineering companies our service differs slightly. We offer a tailored service depending on your needs. Our team of writers has extensive experience working on some of the largest infrastructure projects in New Zealand and have assisted clients with a broad range of construction and civil engineering tenders globally.
As one of New Zealand’s leading tender consultancies, we have experience in both private and public sector bids and will quickly review and interpret the selection criteria and project documentation to get up to speed with any bid we are working on.
We can assist your organisation by:
- Delivering additional resources to reinforce your in-house bids team. This is of particular use when you are working on multiple bids, or a major bid, and your bid team is at capacity. We can quickly get up to speed and work on your response for a week, month or even multi-month period to ensure you submit a compelling proposal on time. We can also provide specific expertise at the start of the bid process to help you develop your bidding strategy and value proposition. Finally, our writers can join your time at the end of the tender process to provide a fresh set of eyes to review your final draft.
- Bid review. At different stages of the bid and tender preparation process you may wish to retain us to review your proposed bid. This could be at draft 1 (Bronze stage) to ensure your storyboarding and proposed responses comprehensively respond to the question. We are also able to provide a bid review for your second and final draft – where we leverage on our experience to provide constructive feedback on where you can improve your bid and how. With a fresh set of eyes and a wealth of experience in construction and engineering bids for major projects, our team is a valuable resource to help ensure you submit a comprehensive response.
- Project manage the entire bid. Assuming we are involved from the start (although on some special occasions, mid-way through the tender response is also ok), we are able to project manage the tender response for you from start to finish. This is generally a service we provide to repeat clients, or new clients who are completing their first tender in New Zealand. We will embed ourselves within your organisation and communicate with key stakeholders and SMEs to coordinate and write your response. This approach is often applicable for consortium bidding to provide a strong and neutral team to project manage the tender response.
Our overall scope of services includes:
- Bid/no bid analysis
- Development of bid library
- Enhancing your team throughout periods of high demand
- Developing tailored graphics and infographics for each bid
- Working with your engineers to write
- Advising and developing AI bid development program and solution
- Reviewing your draft content
- Developing graphics and templates for large bids
- Advising on lobbying and government consulting needs
- Project managing your bid response
How we help you win construction, maintenance and infrastructure bids
We deploy a range of strategies to help our clients win contracts. Some of these include:
Methodology: The methodology, in addition to previous experience, is often the most heavily weighted criteria in any construction and maintenance bid or tender. When we are writing your methodology with you, we take the time to ensure it not only reflects the details in the proposed program, but also takes into account other aspects of the project such as WHS, Quality Assurance and Environmental considerations. Communication with the client, client meetings, project situational awareness and other project considerations needs to be included and incorporated into any methodology. The methodology needs to convince the reader that you have a comprehensive plan to deliver on the contract. Our writers know how to write a comprehensive methodology for construction and maintenance projects.
Win themes: We will work with you to introduce industry best practice to your proposals. Win themes are critical to be successful in any tender or bid. It’s equally critical that win themes are interwoven into your bid so that you key points of difference are consistently conveyed to the client through the bid.
Concise and detailed: Most people reading tenders don’t want to read any ‘fluff’. It’s important to write concisely and to get to the point. Having said that, it’s also important to provide sufficient detail and answer questions comprehensively. That means reading the question and responding to it. For example, if the question asks you to ‘detail your previous experience’ it won’t be sufficient just to list the previous projects you have worked on. You need to go into detail about the methodology you adopted, what key personnel were involved in the project, what innovative initiatives you introduced, and the key outcomes of the project. Did you deliver it on time and on budget with no safety issues?
Supporting documentation: It’s critical that your supporting documentation is in place. If you are externally accredited then this is generally easier, however if not, that’s not a problem. There are many online, government free resources with templates for Quality Assurance, Safety and Environmental Systems you can use. In order to comply with the tender requirements, it’s generally critical that you attach the appropriate supporting documentation and create it if you need to.
The clients we have assisted
We have experience helping a broad range of construction industry professionals write winning bids and tenders across New Zealand (Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch as well as regional areas) and the South Pacific. These include:
- International and multination contractors and infrastructure companies
- New Zealand Tier 1 and Tier 2 construction companies
- Water, Sewerage, Hydrogen and Renewable Energy infrastructure companies
- Property and building maintenance companies
- Surveyors and architects
- Plumbers (hydraulics)
- Structural engineers
- Civil engineers
- Roofing repairs and maintenance
- Brick and blocklaying
- Excavation and demolition
- Civil construction
- Concrete kerbing
- Metal workers
We have helped our clients secure private and public sector contracts and enjoy the challenge of winning our clients new business. Call or email our team today to discuss your next tender opportunity in New Zealand or internationally.